Thursday 5 September 2013

Seamus Heaney - Beloved National Treasure

As I look back, I see that I have used the word "genius" more often than I would have expected in by blog. I have used it for people like Prince, Hugh Laurie, Michael Jackson, Jimmy Carr and Trevanian.

But never has the appellation been more appropriate than when applied to Seamus Heaney, who left us at the weekend.

There is nothing I feel entitled to say about him or his work except that I am a great admirer.

I feel a certain connection to the man in that, like my father, he was born in County Derry, went to school in St. Columb's, and moved to Dublin as an adult, and lived out the rest of his life here.

RTE showed a very good documentary on his life and his work at the weekend. In addition to his gift with words, he seems to have been a very nice man.

Included below is a video showing him reading his poem "Digging" at various stages of his life. A joy to listen to. He certainly did use his "squat pen" well.