Thursday 26 September 2013

Goodbye to Cable TV

I have had cable TV in my house since 1993. Through a series of acquisitions and name changes it has been supplied by Cablelink, CMI, Chorus, and most recently UPC.

And all that time it has been an analogue signal, and not a very good one (picture quality was poor and, unbelievably, most of the channels were in mono!)

When the Irish TV channels went digital last year, UPC continued to send me a crappy analogue signal. I guess I didn't care all that much at the time.

Then Netflix opened my eyes to the joys of (fairly) HD picture quality. So I decided that the time had come to go digital.

I called up UPC. The person explained that I could go digital (basic package) for more-or-less the same monthly cost. That was the good news.

The bad news was that:
  • I would have to continue to pay extra for my second outlet
  • I would have to pay an installation charge for a decoder. But I wouldn't own the decoder: if I left them and didn't return it then I would have to pay for it.
  • The straw that broke the camel's back was when I asked if the signal would be HD and she told me that I would have to pay extra for that too for both the box and the monthly charge!

So I told her to forget about it and I started to plan my escape from the complete waste of money that is cable television. Those guys really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Don't they know that you can access a huge catalogue of movies and TV shows via Netflix. And the sound/picture quality is excellent. And you can access it from as many TVs and devices as you like at no extra charge!

More about my escape anon.