Wednesday 18 September 2013

Alright versus "All rIght"

I was going to write the following an email the other day when I paused to wonder if I should use "alright" or "all right":
I see what you mean alright but...
Turns out that the use of the word "alright" is frowned upon. This is confirmed here and here and here.

But I was unwilling to write "I see what you mean all right but...". That didn't work for me. The words "all right" seemed to be endorsing the view that I was about to contradict. So I restructured the sentence to avoid it.

If I ask someone what they thought of a movie or a meal and they say "it was only alright" you know that they weren't very impressed. I don't think "all right" works as well here (obviously you can't see the spelling when people are speaking to you!)

The first link above does explain that the following two sentences could be interpreted as meaning two quite different things:
  • The figures are all right (they are all accurate)
  • The figures are alright (the are satisfactory)
And most of the links seem to admit that there is a more towards alright (even though it is still "unacceptable")

So for me the word "alright" is "all right".