Tuesday 24 September 2013

I have no sympathy for the movie studios

I mentioned in a previous post that services like Netflix are killing downloading. And I mentioned in other postings that outlets like HMV and Xtravision are being killed by Netflix, Grooveshark, etc.

People don't buy DVDs any more.

But the reasons I have no sympathy for the movie studio in this are:

1) DVDs have always been ridiculously overpriced (as were CDs). DVDs are cheap to manufacture and distribute and the prices being asked for "new releases" was obscene. I have lots of DVDs but the vast majority were purchased when they were "3 for €20" or similar

2) I started watching "Broken City" on DVD this evening. It was a "previously viewed" copy bought by a friend of mine. It starts out by showing adverts for other movies. And then it show normal adverts! And you can't skip away from them!

And I remembered all of those anti-piracy adverts that you would see on a DVD which you had purchased telling you that "you wouldn't steal a car, etc." And you couldn't skip away from that one either. And this on a DVD for which you had paid your own money!!

So I have no sympathy for movie companies as sales of DVDs tank. Serves them right. I hope and trust that Netflix are only paying them a tiny fraction of what DVD sales were bringing in.