Wednesday 1 August 2012

To be honest

I am always nervous when someone prefaces something they say to me with "to be honest..."

I think its a phrase that some people use as a preface to a lie.

I do have a friend who says it all the time, rather than just when he's getting ready to tell you something untrue, and I believe him when he uses it. Maybe he leaves it out when he's lying!

But with most people it's a red flag for me.

So you can imagine how I react when people say "to be completely honest..." or "to be perfectly honest..."! I prepare myself for a real whopper!

For some people it's like a poker player's "tell".

As Billy Joel (who at one time was my favourite singer/songwriter) wrote:
Honesty is such a lonely word.
Everyone is so untrue.
Honesty is hardly ever heard.
And mostly what I need from you.