Sunday 12 August 2012

Olympics - London 2012

Every 4 years the Olympic games roll around once more.

And between each event I seem to forget how enjoyable they are.

I forget the joy and excitement of seeing people operate at the peak of physical performance. Whether running, jumping, throwing, swimming, boxing, sailing, or whatever.

I forget the joy that people experience when they win a gold, and the desolation they feel when they do not.

I forget the pride that the competitors obviously feel in representing their countries.

I forget the amazing variety of sports on display.

I forget the purity of seeing people compete against each other to prove who has the most talent, or who has worked the hardest, or who simply wants it most.

And every 4 years I re-learn all of these things.

In a world that is very complex, there is something very pure and simple and inspiring about the Olympics.