Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Ninth Configuration - William Peter Blatty

In 1980 William Peter Blatty produced and directed "The Ninth Configuration", having written the novel and screenplay.

I guess at that time he was best known for having written the novel and screenplay for "The Exorcist". IMDB tells us that Blatty regarded The Ninth Configuration as a sequel to The Exorcist.

He only went on to direct one more movie, "The Exorcist III" in 1990.

I saw The Ninth Configuration on video shortly after it was released. It's a great movie and I never forgot it.

The movie has everything: comedy, tragedy, mystery, action, and really great dialogue. And it's thought-provoking too. Great performances by Stacy Keach, Scott Wilson, and Ed Flanders.

I watched it again today, after all these years. I wasn't disappointed.

My rating: 8/10.

Here's a still from the movie showing Keach as Col. Kane and Blatty in an uncredited role as Dr. Fromme: