Wednesday 21 August 2013

Irish Referendum Naming

I mentioned in a recent post that I had written to Referendum Commission to give my opinion that using words like "Children" and "Stability" in the names of referendums was adversely affecting their ability to inform the Irish public impartially about the ins and outs of the issue.

The first response I got stated that:
  • They have "no role in the naming of the proposed bills"
  • I should instead contact the "sponsoring Departments".
Do I hear the sound of hands being washed?

I replied saying that "realistically speaking I am not going to contact the sponsoring Departments" and asking if "you could give the Departments guidelines/feedback to help them understand that they are making your job difficult/impossible by selecting names which may, in and of themselves, influence voters".

The reply I got was as follows:
"Unfortunately I cannot assist you further with this matter, however, I will forward your emails for further consideration by our relevant officials".
Definitely the sound of hands being washed!