Wednesday 29 May 2013

Irish Local Property Tax

Today, like thousands of other schmucks in the Irish Republic, I paid the new property tax.

I paid this new tax which the government has introduced on the instructions of the Troika so that we can replay a debt which we did not incur.

I was not involved in running the Irish banks when they engaged in reckless speculation.

I was not involved in running the foreign banks and investment houses who recklessly loaned money to the Irish banks.

But I am involved in ensuring that these banks (foreign and domestic) do not lose any money based on these reckless investments.

It won't be so very long before we have had our independence for a century. The centenary of the 1916 Rising is only a few years away. Some say we've come a long way. And maybe we have. But we're still happy to touch the forelock when we encounter our "betters".