Sunday 19 May 2013

Archer TV Show

I mentioned recently the TV shows I have been watching on Netflix.

One I need to add to the list is the outstanding "Archer".

I am half-way through season 3 at this stage (season 4 is not on Netflix as I write).

It is somewhat reminiscient of "Mad Men" in that by moving to an upspecified time in the past, the makers are able to be as non-PC as they wish. We have racism, sexism, and every kind of "ism". The characters drink alcohol at all times of the day and night (again a la "Mad Men") and there is gratuitous violence which you can get away with because, after all, it's just a cartoon.

My favourite episode is "Placebo Effect" (S02E09). Archer goes on "rampage" to find the people who are selling fake chemotherapy drugs. He has to question some members of the "Irish mob" which he does in the style of "Family Feud" ("Family Fortunes" on this side of the pond). The way he questions them is exactly the way a man who has a "licence to kill" would! Brilliant! And then he comes up against the head man. This scene is a tribute to an episode of "Magnum P.I." apparently. It's excellent. You can read more (and even watch the scene from Magnum) here.

The episode also deals with Archer's friendship with fellow cancer-sufferer Ruth. Another one of those vignettes which help you to root for Archer in spite of his many, many failings.

Now I'm sure I should be outraged by the portrayal of the "Irish mob" and by the "Irish accents". But I love the show too much to take offence.

Here are two stills from the corresponding scenes from Magnum and Archer: