Saturday 21 July 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

Went with the family to see The Amazing Spider-Man the other day.

As a big fan of the 3 movies by Sam Raimi,  Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten Dunst, I was originally very sad to hear that the Spider-Man movies were to be "rebooted".

But when I saw that it had a score of 7.6 on IMDB (versus 7.4 and 7.5 for Spider-Man 1 and 2) I thought that there must be something to recommend it.

I was wrong.

The movie is rubbish from start to finish. I couldn't begin to list the things I didn't like about it, so I won't.

I will say that I am a fan of both Martin Sheen and Sally Field but I didn't think they were nearly as good as Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris in the same roles.

The only ray of light in the whole thing was Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.

Oh and the cameo by Stan Lee is very funny.

I am aware, of course, that people almost never like the second version of a song as much as the first version that they hear. It's human nature and probably applies just as much to movies as it does to songs. So I may have fallen into that trap. But I don't think so. I just don't think it's any good.

One of the biggest failings is that I just don't like the new version of Peter Parker. He seems to have very few redeeming qualities. In the original movies, Peter has a very strong code of honour. In this movie, he seems to have no code of honour at all. This is especially evident in what he says at the end of the movie.

One thing I may have learned from this is that the Metacritic score on IMDB may be a better guide to quality than the IMDB rating. The four Metacritic scores are:
Spider-Man: 73/100
Spider-Man 2: 83/100
Spider-Man 3: 59/100
The Amazing Spider-Man: 66/100

Since I'm unwilling to include a photo from the movie, here is one from the comics where Spider-Man confronts The Lizard: