Monday 23 July 2012

Android games looking for too many permissions

I was considering installing a game called "SAMURAI vs ZOMBIES DEFENSE" when I looked at the list of permissions it required. These are:
  • Storage
  • System tools (including "automatically start at boot" and "retrieve running applications")
  • Your location
  • Phone calls ("read phone status and ID")
  • Network communication
  • Hardware controls
  • Your accounts ("discover known accounts")

Now maybe I'm paranoid, but I decide that this was too much and I didn't proceed with the install.

The real red flags for me were "your location", "phone calls" and "your accounts". Why would a game need these?

I then installed "aSpotCat" so I could easily check into the decisions I had made previously (it allows you to view installed apps by permission).

Under "Services that cost you money" and specifically "send SMS messages" I found "Tetris trial". I deleted it.

Under "Your accounts" and "discover known accounts" I found "Fruit Ninja Free". I deleted that too.

Under "Your location" and "fine (GPS) location" I found "Get the Rope Free". Also deleted.

Again, I don't know if I am being paranoid, but I don't think these games should be seeking these permissions.