Thursday 17 May 2012

Short jokes - Jackie Mason and Jimmy Carr

I wanted to draw attention to the best short jokes I know.
When I say "short jokes", I am referring to jokes that involve a very small number of words, not jokes that relate to people of short stature. Those jokes exist too, but are not the topic of this posting.
My Dad's favourite one-liner was this one: "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."
As well as being clever and funny, it might  even qualify as an oxymoron.

Jackie Mason was a master of the one-liner. Here are some very good examples:
  • “I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.”
  • "A grenade fell on a barracks floor in France ; Linoleum Blownapart."
  • "You've seen one shopping center; you've seen a mall." 

My favourite comedian is Jimmy Carr.
He is a genius and a master of the short joke.
Here are some of his examples:
  • "Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation."
  • "I went out with an Irish Catholic. Very frustrating. You can take the girl out of Cork ..."
  • "If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little see-saw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that."
  • "The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears."
  • "I was reading in the paper today about this dwarf that got pick pocketed. How could anyone stoop so low?"