Wednesday 23 May 2012

Robots

I have always loved robots (or "droids" as they came to be known in some quarters).

I was drawn to TV shows (or even episodes of TV shows) that featured robots.

I even liked rubbish robots like K9 on "Doctor Who" and Rover on "The New Adventures of Wonder Woman".

I liked movies with robots/droids/drones/replicants. I loved R2-D2 for example (C-3PO, not so much!). I also have a soft spot for Huey, Dewey, and Louie from "Silent Running".

I loved Azimov's robot stories also.

Speaking of which, I guess the most realistic prediction for robots was in Alex Proyas's 2004 movie "I, Robot". The 2 disc DVD also had a very interesting documentary on robots.


Although I have spent my whole working life working with computers, I sometimes wonder if I should have been working with robotics but just got sidetracked!

But my favourite robot of all time was the robot on Lost in Space (the TV show, not the movie).

He was the robot that made me fall in love with robots.

I so much wanted to own a robot like him.

And one of the things I liked most about him (aside from the fact that he would wave his arms around and shout "danger Will Robinson") was that you could deactivate him by pulling out his power pack. I don't know why that appealed to me so much but it did!

Here's a photo of the robot with the aforementioned Will Robinson: