Wednesday 31 December 2014

The Secret to Beating Procrastination

I have mentioned TED talks a number of times previously. I think the TED videos are a fabulous resource (imagine getting a series of experts to talk enthusiastically about their field of expertise). One of my New Year's Resolutions is going to be to watch more TED talks.

I happened to watch a few of them last night. And one of them struck me particularly.

Mel Robbins talked about the secret to getting the things you want in this talk.

Now she didn't talk about the Law of Attraction, or visualisation, or "intelligent dumbing down", "positive affirmation", or "mindfulness", or "neuro-linguistic programming".

She said the secret it simple. It is two words: "Force Yourself".

When I heard it, it was as if I had finally heard the answer to a question I had been asking for years. There is no secret. There is no magic. There are no easy answers. You need to become your own parent.

I read David Allen's "Getting Things Done" years ago. I was hopeful that it would contain the key for me. And it certainly told me how to maintain a list of things to get done. So I became really good at getting things onto my list. But it didn't really help me with getting things (particularly unpleasant things) off my list.

Now, to be frank, I didn't like Mel's presentation style. And I didn't think I would enjoy or get anything from the video. But I was wrong. If, like me, her approach rubs you the wrong way, then (if procrastination is a problem for you) I would encourage you to persevere and watch the whole video. It was the most worthwhile 22 minutes I have spent on the web in some time!


I would like to be able to say, at this point in my posting, that seeing Mel's video has changed my life. But it has only been a few hours to be honest. So I'll have to revisit this in a future posting. But I can say that the evidence of the first few hours has been very positive.

Here is a slide from her deck which sums up the whole message: