Monday 24 September 2012

Working for the Bank

Two of my sisters work for banks. I have a sister-in-law and a brother-in-law who work for a bank.

I once applied for a job in a bank. I got an interview which seemed to go well. Then the bank, which had been planning to hire lots of new people apparently, changed its mind and ended up hiring very few. I did not get the job.

The irony is that I am now working for the banks. We all are. I am working to ensure that the banks do not go under. I am working to ensure that bankers do not lose their jobs. I am not working directly for the banks to be sure, but I am earning money so that I can pay increased taxes that can be used to cover the losses which the banks made.

I don't think that is very fair.

The second irony is that we now say casually in conversation that we own the banks. That may be technically a fact, but there is very little evidence of it. We can't force them to loan money to companies and individuals who need money. We can't even force them not to pay themselves bonuses.

The harsh reality is that the banks own us.