Monday 10 September 2012

Best story told through song

My last posting was on the best "story" songs.

Writing it reminded me of the best story I every heard told through song.

In the early 80s, I visited a friend in London and he brought me to see a West End show called "Song and Dance". The show was broken into two parts. The first part featured Marti Webb singing a series of songs which told the story of the romances of an English girl who goes to America. The second part featured a series of dance pieces.

I loved the first part and subsequently bought the album. I can't remember much about the second part to be honest.

The music is beautiful (thanks for Andrew Lloyd Webber), the lyrics are very clever (thanks to Don Black) and the songs are very moving (thanks to both). And Marti Webb has a fabulous voice.

I looked at various versions of the songs on Youtube this evening. I am including a link to Marti Webb singing "Tell Me on a Sunday" below.

But I also found a version of Denise Van Outen signing the same song and I have to say that it is very good. You can see it here.