Monday 10 September 2012

Taken - Liam Neeson

The most anticipated movie event of 2012 for me was not Avengers Assemble, or Prometheus, or The Dark Knight Rises.

The most anticipated event is the release of Taken 2. It will be out on the 5th of October here in Ireland. I can't wait.

I should have suspected that I would like Taken when it was released. Liam Neeson was the star. Luc Besson was one of the writers and one of the producers. But I didn't. The movie came as a complete (and delightful) surprise.

Neeson is superb as the father out to rescue his daughter - a single-minded and unstoppable force of retribution.

Great script. Great fights. Great action sequences.

Here is what Neeson's character says to the kidnapper on the phone early in the movie: "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

My rating: 8.5/10