Tuesday 4 October 2011

Favourite Websites

I am going to nominate 2 “favourite” websites, but for quite different reasons.

My favourite website (judged by the number of times I enter it into my browser’s address bar) is IMDB.COM. I’m sure I go to this site every couple of days. It is an unbelievable font of information on movies and TV shows. The site must have been used to settle SO many arguments over the years (how DID we settle arguments before the Internet arrived?!).

My favourite website (judged by the enjoyment I get from it) is grooveshark.com. I don’t know how is it possible that a website can exist where you can play any (well, almost any) song that takes your fancy in real time. More quickly that you could find a CD, or perhaps even find your iPod! So if you’re at your computer, and you want to hear something by Lady Gaga, then you’re in luck.

But if you want to hear Bing Crosby singing “Danny Boy”, or “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” or even “Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish lullaby)” then they’re available too!

But perhaps the most interesting thing for music geeks is the number of remixes you can get. So if you want to listen to “Crazy” by Seal then you can choose from the following (and more):
  • Single version (4:30)
  • Album version (4:28)
  • William Orbit mix (5:27)
  • Live (5:19)
  • Acoustic (4:02)
  • Acapella mix (3:28)
And all you have to do in return is look at (or ignore!) some ads that appear on the screen.

Works for me!