Saturday 6 September 2014

Software KVM Update

My last posting looked at some software which can allow you to share a mouse and keyboard across PCs. I admitted at the time that I have not tried the products.

I got home early during the week and I had to do some work on my laptop from work. My options were:
  1. Work with the laptop screen/keyboard (unacceptable)
  2. Switch connect my monitor/screen/keyboard
  3. Try out one of the products

I chose option 3.

I tried "Input Director" first. It worked fine and I was delighted with the way you could treat three monitors as if they were connected to the same laptop.

However Input Director did not recover well when the slave laptop came back from sleep mode.

So I installed "Mouse Without Borders".

It was a little tricky at first because it wanted to connect to the second laptop by name (and I don't have DNS at home). But when I mapped the names to IP addresses within the product it worked perfectly, even when one of the laptops went to sleep.

So my vote now is for MWB.