Monday 11 March 2013

Movie Review: Super 8

Having watched this movie the other day, I'm trying to imagine the phone conversation between J.J.Abrams and Steven Spielberg before the movie was made.

Spielberg: Hello. This is Steven Spielberg.

Abrams: Hi Steven. J.J. here.

Spielberg: Hi J.J. What's new?

Abrams: Well, I'm planning to make a new movie which I'm going to call "Super 8".

Spielberg: Hey, remember how when you were teenagers I hired you and Matt Reeves to restore some of my Super 8 home movie?

Abrams: Funny you should mention that Steven...

Spielberg: Why's that?

Abrams: Well it's just that I'm thinking of doing something similar with some of your movies from the 70s...

Spielberg: How so?

Abrams: Well I'm thinking of a new version of ET...

Spielberg: You're serious?

Abrams: Yes I am. But the alien will be a lot bigger, and a lot uglier. And it definitely won't be vegetarian!

Spielberg: So you're bringing it all bang up to date?

Abrams: Well no. Actually I'm going to set it in 1979.

Spielberg: Let me see if I have this now. You're going to remake ET and you're going to set it in roughly the same time period. Is there anything else you need to tell me?

Abrams: Well I need to talk to you about "The Goonies" too...

Spielberg: Listen here J.J. - sounds like I'll need to sign on as Producer for this one.

My rating: 5.5/10