Saturday 15 December 2012

Programming Languages

I was at the open day at Coder Dojo in Malahide this morning with my three kids.

Very interesting presentations on hardware and programming. And demos of cool stuff including a Raspberry Pi and a JavaScript-controlled helicopter!

The organisers asked the kids to name programming languages. The kids duly came up with Scratch and Java. One of the kids asked me if I could name any more. That got me thinking.

So here I am going to name all of the programming languages I can think of in alphabetical order:

Algol, APL, Assembler, AutoIt
B (I think?), BASIC
C, C++, C#, COBOL
D
E
Fortran
G
H
I
Java, JavaScript
K
Lisp, Logo, LotusScript
M
N
O
Perl, PHP, Processing, Prolog, Python
Qt
Rapid-Q, RPG, Ruby
Scheme, Scratch, SNOBOL, SQL
T
U
VB, VB.NET
W
X
Y
Z

That's 31 by my count.

There are lots more than I know of but can't remember, and lots more that I have never heard of.