Thursday 13 December 2012

Miracle on 34th Street - I'm not so sure

I bought Miracle on 34th Street (the 1947 edition) on DVD some years ago but I never got the kids to watch it.

Originally they would have been opposed to the idea of watching a movie in black and white. But of course I have won them over to this idea some time ago with It's a Wonderful Life.

So this year I took it out again and I watched it with the two younger ones (10 and 8).

It has a number of things going for it:
  • It's a "Christmas classic"
  • It features Ireland's own Maureen O'Hara
  • It is #9 apparently on the American Film Institute's "100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time"

The bad news is: I don't think we will be watching it again. At least not until the kids are older.

Without discussing the details, suffice it to say that I just don't think it is suitable.

So if you want to watch a "Christmas classic" with your kids, I would suggest that you try one of these two.