Saturday 3 November 2012

Skyfall - Bond is bigger then ever!

When I was seven I went with my family to see my first James Bond movie. It was "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". I really enjoyed it and can still remember the excitement of seeing (what must have been) my first action movie. To illustrate how long ago that was, the tagline was:
"Far up! Far out! Far more! James Bond 007 is back!"

Last weekend I went with my own family to see Skyfall. For my son (who is eight) it was his first Bond movie in a cinema. I enjoyed it and I know he enjoyed it too - I wonder if he will remember it as long!

The movie is currently scoring 8.2 on IMDB, which puts it a little ahead of "Casin Royale" at 7.9 and substantially ahead of Quantum of Solace at 6.7. It is scoring a very impressive 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The answer to the question of why it is beating Daniel Craig's two previous outings is probably two words: Sam Mendes.

The new movie is also a huge box office hit - with £37.2m in its opening week it is now the biggest seven day gross of all time at the UK box office.

The things I probably liked most about it are:
1) It looks like a Bond movie (they have managed to distinguish it from Bourne and Mission Impossible movies)
2) The many references to previous Bond movies to please the aficionado

My rating: 8/10

Here is a nice still from early in the movie: