Saturday 3 November 2012

Definition of Randomer

I have been watching words and phrases migrate into our usage of the English language for many years.

Typically these words are migrating westwards - from the States to Ireland.

To give a simple example: the phrase "ballpark estimate" is in common usage in business here even though the word "ballpark" has not arrived.

I remember being in a restaurant in the States many years ago when the waiter asked me if I was "done" with my food. The usage of "done" to mean finished in this manner is now commonplace over here.

But I suspect that words and phrases are migrating much more quickly now.

Perhaps it is because of the Internet and social networking. Perhaps it is because of the increased importance/influence of teenagers in culture these days.

And perhaps I am seeing it more because I am seeing it in action with my kids.

And once a word/phrase does arrive in a country it needs to migrate through the age groups and into different social contexts.

One excellent example is the use of the word "randomer" to mean either a stranger ("who was that randomer last night") or some unknown or unspecified person ("some randomer will get the job") or someone of no significance ("he's just some randomer").

I first heard the word relatively recently - I think it was earlier this year. But I heard it being used in a business meeting (by someone in her thirties) last week. That must be some kind of record!