Sunday 12 October 2014

GTasks

I have always relied heavily on having a "to do list".

Since reading Dave Allen's "Getting Things Done", my reliance has been even heavier (Dave emphasises the importance of having a complete list in order to reduce stress and have a "mind like water" - please read the book for a clearer explanation!)

In the past have had my list on paper, or in Excel. Now I used GTasks on my Android phone.

GTasks does almost everything I could want and it also synchronises with Google Tasks so that I can access my list from GMail if I wish to do so.

GTasks support multiple lists and it is easy to switch between them (and to move items between them). So you have have separate lists for work, home, college, etc. You can also have "someday" or "maybe" lists for things that you may do some day.

And obviously I have a (long) list for things that I want to blog about (I'll be able to check one of these off in a few minutes!)

The two things I wish it had are:
  1. The ability to tag tasks as being for "today". I do this at present my moving them to a "Today" list. But then I lose the original list. So really a task might be "home" and also "today".
  2. The ability to tag a task as being started. I remember doing a Time Management course years ago and learning about the Japanese Daruma doll. The idea was that you would paint in one eye on the doll when you start a task and then only paint in the second eye when you finish it. So seeing one eye painted reminded you that the goal had not yet been accomplished
You can find the app on the Android store.