Saturday 14 June 2014

New Phone - HTC One

I decided to replace my ageing Samsung Galaxy S2 the other day.

My kids wanted me to go for an iPhone but (given my relationship with App Inventor through CoderDojo) I was determined to stick with Android. They were completely shocked that I wasn't going for an iPhone when they heard that I could get the 4S model for "free".

I got my decision down to either a Samsung S4 or a HTC One pretty quickly. But then I found it hard to make the final selection.

In the end I did abandon Samsung though, and I bought the HTC.

I couldn't tell you exactly why I did that - I was very happy with my Samsung after all.

This may have been a factor: The card beside the Samsung said that it supported NFC. I wanted NFC because App Inventor supports it and I like the idea of experimenting with NFC tags.

The card beside the Samsung did not mention NFC. So I looked at the shops brochure. No mention of NFC at all. So I asked the staff. They has no idea, looked up their website, and still had no idea.

I went to the Samsung shop elsewhere in the shopping centre and they confirmed that the S4 does indeed have NFC. But I guess I had already started to drift towards the HTC at that stage.

The second negative for the S4 was the fact that the S5 is available. So I would be buying a model behind - which is never good news.

I'll undoubtedly revisit the topic of my new phone in upcoming posts as I get used to it.