Thursday 3 January 2013

Lost in Translation by Sofia Coppola

I watched "Lost in Translation" on TV the other day.

It was only my second time watching the movie, although I bought the DVD some time ago.

I guess I bought it because:
  • I had read a very positive review
  • I like Bill Murray
  • I knew it was set in Japan (I have a big interest in all things Japanese)
To be frank I didn't enjoy the movie very much the first time around. I think I was expecting to learn more about Japan and that didn't materialise. In fact, Japan is used mainly as a strange (weird might be a better word) backdrop for the story. Its main role is to provide a setting where Murray and Johansson can feel lonely and isolated.

Watching the movie for the second time was quite different as I didn't have those expectations. Instead I was able to focus more on the story and on the evolving relationship between the two main characters. That's why I was able to enjoy it so much more.

Murray and Johansson are both excellent. And it works very well as a love story. And the movie looks great.

I saw an interview where Murray said that it was his favourite movie of the ones he was in.

After the movie I went on the web to see if I could find out what Murray whispered to Johansson near the end. I did find some speculation but no answers that satisfied me. I decided that Coppola was right - it is better to leave that to the viewers' imaginations.

My rating: 7.5/10 (would have been higher if it didn't make Japan seem to strange!).

Here is a nice shot of the two leads: