Friday 12 October 2012

Mistaken by Neil Jordan

I finished the book "Mistaken" by Neil Jordan the other day.

I really enjoyed it.

It's the story of a Northside boy called Kevin Thunder growing up in 1960s Dublin who discovers that there is a Southside boy called Gerald who bears him an uncanny resemblance (more-so in smell than looks apparently).

The story deals with how their paths cross repeatedly over their live and the impact this has on their own lives and the lives around them.

It's not a happy book (I don't think there are any humorous passages) but it is a compelling read. I guess it's a book that looks at actions and their consequences. And it also tackles the theme of loss, as Jordan himself says in this interview.

Some people have criticised the level of detail Jordan uses in relation to Dublin but I enjoyed recognising the various locations and liked that aspect of the novel.

I recommend it.